Dr. Young’s Holiday Green Bean Casserole
- 2 – 14.5 oz cans French cut green beans, no salt added (preferably), drained
- 2 – 4 oz cans mushroom stems & pieces, no salt added (preferably), drained
- ½ cup beef broth/bouillon
- ½ cup 2% milk fat cottage cheese
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- Dash coarse ground black pepper
- ½ tsp Morton’s™ Lite Salt (delete if using regular green beans & mushrooms canned with salt)
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced into rings ¼ inch thick
- Olive, avocado or canola oil
- Preheat oven to 375⁰F.
- In a small saucepan, sauté the garlic in a small amount of oil till nearly brown.
- Add the mushrooms, beef broth, pepper & salt, bring to a full boil, then simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
- Add the cottage cheese, then transfer the saucepan contents to a blender.
- Cover the lid of the blender with a thick-folded towel (to prevent splattering & scorching of your hand), and holding the lid down, blend well till smooth & creamy.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the green beans & mushroom sauce & mix well.
- Transfer to a casserole dish & bake in the oven at 375⁰F for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, sauté the onion in as little oil as possible to desired doneness.
- When the casserole is done, remove from oven & spread the onions on top. Let stand for 15 minutes, then serve.
Yield is 8 ½ cup servings. Each ½ cup serving counts as 1 vegetable.
Check out Doc’s many healthy recipes that will help you stay on track, including Doc’s Stuffing.