Doc’s Roasted Eggplant Caponata
- 1 large eggplant (1 1/2 pounds)
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 4 ounces jarred roasted red peppers, chopped
- 1/2 cup large green olives, pitted and chopped
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (3 cloves)
- 3 tablespoons minced parsley
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons drained capers
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a sheet pan with aluminum foil.
- Place the whole eggplant on the pan, prick with a fork in several places, and rub with olive oil.
- Roast for 45 to 50 minutes, until the eggplant is very soft when pierced with a knife.
- Set aside to cool.
- Halve the eggplant, peel, and discard the skin.
- Place the eggplant, peppers, and olives in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the steel blade and pulse until coarsely chopped.
- Pour into a mixing bowl.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a medium sauté pan.
- Add the onion and red pepper flakes and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes, until the onion is lightly browned.
- Add the garlic, cook for 1 minute.
- Add to the eggplant mixture.
- Add the parsley, pine nuts, lemon juice, capers, tomato paste, vinegar, salt, and pepper and mix.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for a few hours to allow the flavors to develop.
- Taste for seasonings and serve at room temperature.
Enjoy this delicious recipe from CardioMender, MD. We offer cardiologist supervised weight loss in Pembroke Pines, FL.
Modified from Barefoot Contessa How Easy Is That? 2010[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]