- 20 oz Jennie-O Extra Lean Ground Turkey Breast
- 4 tsp minced garlic
- Olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp coarse ground black pepper
- 3 Tbsp chili powder
- 2 cups diced Vidalia onion (about 1 large onion)
- 2 cups diced red bell peppers (about 2 large peppers)
- 3 cups chicken bouillon
- 1 tsp Louisiana-style cayenne pepper sauce
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- ½ tsp thyme
- ½ tsp powdered stevia
- 1 can (4.5 oz) chopped green chiles
- Nonfat shredded mozzarella cheese
- Fresh cilantro
- Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in a large skillet on medium high and add the garlic and ground turkey breast. Sprinkle with the garlic salt, black pepper and chili powder. Cook till done and set aside (approximately 10 minutes).
- Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in a large saucepan on medium heat and add the onion and red bell pepper. Cook, tightly covered, until tender (approximately 10 minutes).
- Meanwhile in the microwave prepare 3 cups of nearly boiling chicken bouillon. Add the hot sauce and lemon juice and stir well.
- Add this mixture to the saucepan with the onions and red bell peppers, then stir in the turkey breast.
- Add the cumin, thyme, stevia and chopped green chiles. Bring to a boil then reduce to low heat and simmer, covered, for at least 45 minutes, stirring often.
- When ready to serve, insert an immersion blender into the bottom of the pan, pulsing a few times to create a thickened, creamy base. Do not over blend.
- When serving, garnish with 1 oz (1/4 cup) nonfat shredded mozzarella cheese and a few sprigs of fresh cilantro.
1 cup chili plus the cheese counts as 5 servings very lean protein plus 1 vegetable.
Yields 5 cups.
For a little more zip add a bit more hot sauce or give it a more complex flavor with a splash of CardioMender MD balsamic vinegar! Delicious!
Hint for football season: Make a few batches and freeze it when football season starts again – great for game day!
Also, try this chili dog recipe: Place 1 Oscar-Mayer 95% fat free frank in half a Coconut Wrap. Drizzle ½ cup chili over it, 1 oz nonfat shredded mozzarella cheese and a few sliced jalapeno peppers. Roll and heat in a toaster oven for 5 minutes. Yum! Counts as 4 servings lean protein.