Doc’s Egg Drop Soup
- 3 cloves fresh garlic, chopped OR 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced OR 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- Extra virgin olive oil OR PAM spray
- Thai basil – a few fresh leaves
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten with a splash of water
- 1 large or 2 small scallions, sliced thin OR 2 Tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
- Sesame oil
- Sauté the garlic, ginger and Thai basil in olive oil or PAM for a few minutes, being careful not to burn it.
- Add the chicken stock.
- Add the soy sauce and white pepper.
- Bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir to swirl, and while soup is swirling, drizzle in the beaten egg.
- Add scallions.
- Drizzle in a LITTLE sesame oil to finish and serve.
Enough for 2 bowls and equals 1 very lean protein per bowl.