Doc’s Mock Matzoh Ball Soup
For the Soup:
- 1 stewing chicken or hen, approx. 5-6 lbs., cleaned well
- 1 large onion, cut in chunks
- 2 stalks celery, cut up
- 4 long carrots or ½ bag minis (to flavor soup, NOT TO EAT), cut in large pieces
- 1 turnip, cut in chunks
- 2 parsnips, cut in chunks
- 1 bunch fresh Italian parsley
- 1 large bunch fresh dill
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Chives or scallion greens for garnish
For the Mock Matzoh Balls:
- 1/2 Large head cauliflower (or 2+ cups shredded cauliflower), UNCOOKED
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup shredded FAT- FREE mozzarella cheese
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper
- In large soup pot, sauté onion, celery, carrots, turnip and parsnips about 5 minutes.
- Add chicken.
- Add water to cover chicken.
- Add parsley, dill, salt and pepper.
- Heat on high until water just boils, then reduce to a simmer.
- If “scum” forms on top, do your best to skim off with a spoon.
- Cook for about an hour and a half, until chicken is cooked through.
- When cooled a bit, strain the soup into a separate pot – keep the veggies and chicken for another meal.
Mock Matzoh Balls:
- Shred the cauliflower using a hand grater, so you have 2 cups of crumbles.
- Place the cauliflower crumbles in a large bowl and microwave them (dry) for 8 minutes.
- Give the cauliflower a chance to cool.
- Heat your oven to 450 degrees F.
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl.
- Spray a baking tray or cupcake pan with PAM.
- Drop “balls” about 1½” diameter either onto the tray or into a cupcake space. If you pat it down you’ll get a more even thickness, if you don’t, you’ll get not quite a ball, as this won’t hold the ball shape too well, but it will be round.
- Bake for approximately 15 minutes, until brown on top.
- When you are ready to serve, float the Mock Matzoh Balls in the warm soup and garnish with chives.