Ingredients – Taco Shell
- 1/2 large head cauliflower (3 cups shredded cauliflower), UNCOOKED
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup FAT-FREE mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic (dried or fresh)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Fresh ground pepper to taste
- 1 Tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped fine
Ingredients – Filling
- 4 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium yellow onions, cut up
- 1 medium red onion, cut up (reserve a thin slice to use as garnish)
- 10 large baby portabella mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups red bell peppers (approx 2 peppers)
- 1 cup green bell peppers (approx 1 pepper)
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 – 10 oz. package Tofu Crumbles (vegetarian hamburger)
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- juice of 1/2 lime
Ingredients – Garnish
- 1 cup Shredded Romaine lettuce
- 1/2 cup FAT-FREE cheddar cheese, shredded
- Chopped tomatoes, if you are permitted on the program
- Shred the cauliflower into small crumbles. I used an old style grater and it was easy. You can use a food processor if you’d like, but you just want crumbles, not puree. Place the shredded cauliflower in a large microwave safe bowl and microwave them (dry) uncovered for 8 minutes. Give the cauliflower a chance to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Spray a cookie sheet or pizza pan with nonstick spray like PAM.
- When the cauliflower has cooled, combine all of the remaining taco shell ingredients and mix well.
- Divide the mixture into 4 parts and pat down each one on the pan until thin, keeping them separate. Try for 4 rounds but shape isn’t that important.
- Bake for 12 minutes (or until golden).
- Prepare the filling: Sauté the garlic in olive oil until just turning brown. Add the onions and continue cooking 4-5 minutes. Add the peppers and mushrooms and continue sautéing 4-5 minutes. Add remaining filling ingredients and sauté for a few more minutes.
- Assembling the tacos: Place some of the filling in each of the taco shells. Add some of the cheddar cheese then some lettuce and the reserved raw red onion, chopped. Add a bit of fresh cilantro if you’d like. Fold and enjoy!
NOTE: This recipe makes approximately 10 servings of very lean protein and 10 servings of vegetables.