Doc’s Grilled Skate
- Skate from your seafood market- 4-8 oz for a meal; 1 oz skate equals 1 Very Lean Protein
- Can substitute steak for skate (limit 4 oz per meal per day).
- 1- 1½ clove of fresh garlic per 6-8 oz serving
- 6-8 sprigs of fresh cilantro per 6-8 oz serving
- 2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil per 6-8 oz serving
- Salt, pepper and red pepper flakes
- Soak skate with the juice of 2 limes &/or lemons 20 to 40 min
- Finely chop fresh garlic & sprigs of fresh cilantro
- Add olive oil to chopped garlic & cilantro
- Add salt & pepper and several shakes of red pepper flakes to taste
- Spoon mixture all over the skate & let soak in for 30 to 90 min
- Grill as you typically would for steak (I cooked 1.5 pounds for 6 min on 1st side & 3 min after flipping)
- Slice against the grain and serve like flank or sliced steak
Serve with Doc’s 3-Minute Salsa (if you are on ACUTE WEIGHT LOSS ONLY after Nutritional Step-Up & MAINTENANCE), sautéed onions, peppers and mushrooms (ACUTE WEIGHT LOSS & MAINTENANCE) and slices of ripe avacado, (avacado only if you are on MAINTENANCE. I squeezed lime on our avocado when serving.