Do you know the six steps you can take to reduce your risk of stroke, heart disease and Type-2 Diabetes? You hear over and over in the media how these issues are epidemic in our society, yet with all our knowledge, the rates of these occurrences are not going down. We all want to live healthy, happy lives, but we do not always make the necessary choices to help this happen. Once we have the awareness, the next measure is really looking at ourselves to see what we can do to optimize our own health. How many of these six steps are you taking?
These are the six steps:
- LOSE WEIGHT – You’ve Got to Live It!
- REDUCE SODIUM INTAKE – In general, limit sodium intake to less than 2.3 mg per day.* This will help reduce blood pressure, which reduces the risk of stroke and heart attack.
- DON’T SMOKE – This is the number one risk factor for stroke. Quitting also reduces the risk of heart attack.
- LIMIT ALCOHOL –
- Women: No more than one ounce of hard liquor or one 6 ounce glass of wine per day.
- Men: No more than two ounces of hard liquor or two 6 ounce glasses of wine per day.
- MAKE HEALTHY FOOD CHOICES –
- Reduce saturated fat intake, typically in meat and foods derived from animal products.
- Reduce consumption of sugary foods.
- Reduce or, even better, eliminate processed foods. They are generally high in undesirable sodium, refined carbs, sugar, high fructose corn syrup and pro-inflammatory fats.
- Eat more fibrous vegetables and fruits and whole grains, once weight is controlled.
These steps help lower cholesterol and unhealthy fats, as well as fight obesity and Type-2 Diabetes.
- EXERCISE – Do something physical every day. Take the stairs; go for a walk. Just 20 to 30 minutes of moderate exercise brings enormous returns in terms of health benefits: Lowers blood pressure and therefore risk of stroke, reduces heart disease and Type-2 Diabetes.
If you are successful implementing the above, you will reduce your chances of getting Type-2 Diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol and cardiovascular disease (both heart attacks and strokes).
At CardioMender, MD Weight Loss Specialists we can show you why you have such a hard time with Step 1, losing weight. There are real reasons, and our doctors and team can explain why and then give you the tools to create a new you.
Call us today and ask how we can help you implement strategies to improve your health and reduce your risks!
Pass this information to a friend.
You’ve Got to Live It!TM
*At least some people require more aggressive sodium restriction.
Check out the Doc’s many healthy recipes that will help you stay on track!