Doc’s Healthy Dinner Recipe: Pasta with Clams
- Avocado oil
- Elephant ear garlic 1 large and 1 small head, chopped
- 1 small, mild red pepper, chopped
- Chinese Eggplants – 1-2 young ones
- Fresh Thyme – 3 sprigs
- Fresh Purple basal – 3 or 4 sprigs (1 or 2 in water with pasta)
- Lemon grass 2 – pieces
- Sage bud
- Pinch lavender
- Pinch rosemary
- Red pepper flakes
- 20 to 24 clams (you can substitute chicken breasts or fish)
- Clam Juice or Chicken Stock or Vegetable Stock, ¼ to ½ cup
- Pea pasta from CardioMender, MD
- 1-2 lemons
- Vegetable of your choice to steam
- Sauté first 14 ingredients, starting with garlic.
- When all are soft, add clams.
- Add quarter cup water, clam juice or stock, half lemon squeezed and then add the lemon.
- Sauté until clams open.
- While sautéing, prepare pea pasta: 12 min in boiling water with salt, olive oil, purple basal.
- Strain pasta when done.
- Once clams are open, remove clams to bowl, leaving sauce in pan.
- Add pasta to sauce in pan.
- Heat for 2 minutes or so.
- Pour pasta into a serving bowl.
- Top with clams, remaining sauce and 1 small squeeze of lemon, a dash of olive or avocado oil.
While this is all cooking, steam a fresh vegetable. I made broccoli, steamed with basal, olive oil and salt. When ready, take out and top off with a squeeze of lemon, olive oil, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes.
Mmmm- a healthy dinner recipe with gusto!
I have a patio garden with herbs, eggplants, a variety of peppers and tomatoes. All of the above herbs, the pepper and the eggplant came from my garden.