Quick, easy and absolutely delicious fish soup recipe is really more of a hearty stew. Although this is part of our healthy recipes, a little will go a long way…
Start with a vegetable broth. I keep a vegetable stock in the freezer in 2 cup containers that I make from whatever mixture of greens and vegetables I have available. That may include onions, any fresh herb I have available, and I always have some herbs growing in my garden, celery, mushrooms, peppers, lettuce, cabbage, Swiss chard, and really anything I have on hand. If you are in the acute weight loss phase of the program, use only those vegetables you can eat. I usually use a minimum of salt, pepper and red pepper flakes for the stock, as I season to taste when I use it later in a dish.
(Note: portion according to the program and how many people are eating)
- 3 to 4 cloves fresh garlic, chopped
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 red, green or yellow bell pepper, sliced thin
- Mushrooms, in chunks or thick slices
- 1 cup clam juice (optional)
- 3 scallions, sliced thin on the diagonal
- Fish and/or shrimp and/or scallops
- Juice and zest of a lemon and/or lime
- Large handful chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- Sesame oil (optional)
- Sauté the garlic in olive oil for a few minutes, being careful not to burn it, then add the mushrooms, continue to sauté.
- Add the sliced red, green and/or yellow peppers, continuing to sauté until they are tender.
- Add the vegetable broth and optional clam juice. Bring to simmer.
- Add scallions and salt and pepper to taste.
- Add fish, scallops and shrimp, being aware of the thickness and size of each to be able to gauge the cooking time of each. Try to have them ready at the same time.
- Simmer 5 minutes, then add lemon and/or lime juice and zest.
- Simmer 5 minutes more, then add grated fresh ginger, cilantro or parsley and red pepper flakes to taste.
- Drizzle a little sesame oil (optional) and serve.
I usually eat this with a side of steamed broccoli, green beans or Brussels sprouts. Enjoy!