Treat yourself like royalty! This dish may look “fancy” but is really quite simple to make. And it tastes delicious!
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- ½ cup onion, diced
- ½ cup bell peppers, varying colors, diced
- ½ cup mushrooms, sliced
- ½ cup ham, cut in small cubes (optional)
- ¼ cup low fat feta cheese (1.5 to 3.0 grams of fat per ounce)
- 2 eggs
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Seasonings to taste, such as salt, pepper, red pepper flakes or hot sauce
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Sauté onions in olive oil, adding peppers then mushrooms as they soften.
- Add cubes of ham to warm.
- Place spinach on a baking sheet, arranged in a circle, about 10 inches in diameter.
- Bake for 5 minutes.
- Make a depression in the spinach for each egg, then put half the sautéed vegetables in each depression, then crack an egg in each “nest”.
- Bake for 5 minutes or until the eggs are done to your liking.
- Add feta cheese for last minute or 2.
- Season to taste.